Monday, July 25, 2011

Weekend works of art

My grandmothers birthday will be this Friday and she will be 93 years young and still looks amazing. My dad calls to let me know she really needs earrings. After making a few pair for her in silver and in gold, simple ones that she could wear anytime with anything. I thought I would play with my torch for a bit and see what transpires.

I started of with a long piece of 18 gauge wire about 3 feet long or so cut off about 6 inches or so and formed a heart. With the excess I melted into two silver balls and added for extra detail along with a jump ring at the top and one at the bottom. I really liked how the bottom looked and started to go with it. So I grabbed a mandrel and coiled up most of the silver wire and then cut it into rings. I took what was left and cut into ten one inch pieces and then torched them into balls. I soldered 4 rings together and added the ball to the center. I took a picture with my cell phone this morning sorry about the quality I promise to take a better picture when I get home with my camera.

I would love to hear your comments on this and maybe what colors you could see going with it as I plan to add some crystals, pearls or semi precious stones between the little flowers. I plan on putting four of the flowers up each side of the heart the two that is pictured in the center I will be using in earrings.

2 comments:

metalsmith65 said...

For just starting... I think they look great!!! keep up the good work.

Nancy Pace Art said...

Nice and pretty! I would use her favorite color. She is fortunate to have such a talented grandchild:)
I can't wait to see how you finish this.